1. I have researched the market , but I found big variations in price from supplier to supplier. Why is it so ?
Ans. Solar Street Light is nowadays a very common product. So, lots of suppliers are in this field. But, due to severe competition they operate in ultra low margins. So, as a result the street lights nowadays are of very inferior quality.
Ways to verify whether quailty is superior or inferior:
- 1.Check the Solar Panel Rating
- The wattage of the panel decides how much energy will be captured from sun
- 2.Check the Battery Ratting
- The AH capacity of battery will decide how much energy can be stored in battery to use at night
- 3.Check the LED Rating
- The brightness & spread of light depends on the type & no. of LEDs used. Also, it depends on the Lumens per watt i.e. Amount of light obtained per Watt of Power consumed.
- 4.Check whether Battery is SMF or Tubular
- SMF batteries are cheaper & dont require maintainence but dont last long (typically 2-3.5 years)
- Tubular batteries are costlier & require water topup every 3-4months. But it lasts long (5-7 years)
- 5.Check the height of pole
- To reduce cost suppliers give shorter poles like 3mtr or 4mtr.
- Usually to have uniform light spread we recommend
- 4mtr—–> 6 LED (7watt ) ( Brightness: 720 Lumens)
- 5mtr—–> 9 LED (11watt) ( Brightness: 1080 Lumens)
- 6mtr—–> 12LED (11watt) ( Brightness: 1440 Lumens)
2. What is the Cost of Solar Street Light ?
Ans. Solar Street Light cost varies on various factors mentioned above and ranges from
Rs.9000 to Rs.30000